Thursday, October 14, 2010

A nice article about BCS rankers

A friend of mine linked me to this article about BCS ranking systems, and some of the silly rules imposed by the BCS.

My question: how exactly do they impose rules on the code if it's not public?

It seems here that margin-of-victory is not allowed at all by the BCS systems. I'm definitely not willing to go to that slim an amount of information... but perhaps I should feel more welcome to change my maximum-allowed margin (it is currently set to 14 points). Any suggestions? My first inclination is to go to 21.

The article brings up a lot of questions about the BCS system. I have the following opinions (which are perhaps not directly related to the article):

* The ranking system should not include voting by humans. Especially not those who have something obvious to lose/gain by the results!

* The ranking system should not take pre-season results into account, only results from the season.

* The ranking algorithm's code should be publicly available and unchangeable in the middle of the season.

I hope you enjoy the article!

No comments:

Post a Comment